guitar the first
I wanted to have a new guitar, so I went to all the guitar shops in Swindon, but I couldn't find one I liked that was worth spending the asking price on.
So I decided to build my own.
I wanted something in the style of a Telecaster. I wanted it to have a nice natural looking wood finish. I'd've preferred no markings on the fretboard too, but since this was the first guitar I'd ever built, I decided not to be too fussy.
The plan was to get all the main parts from ebay. This is the part of the project that took the longest amount of time. I also had quite a bit of trouble with some sellers - something that I'd never experienced in prior dealings on ebay (I normally buy Doctor Who merchandise).
Here are some of the main parts that I got from ebay;
I also got a pair of single coil pickups from ebay, but I don't have a separate photo of them.
The first thing I did was to line the cavities of the body with copper plate, in order to provide a form of electrical shielding.
The trickiest part of the whole assembly was making sure that the bridge was in line with the neck. When the neck was slotted into place, it was a very tight fit, but it's angle with the bridge was such that the strings fell of the bottom of the fretboard. This was fixed by drilling new holes for the bridge. After that, it was pretty much plain sailing.
I got the machine heads, strings, string trees and scratchplate from a local guitar shop. This was probably a far more expensive thing to do than waiting for the right parts on ebay - but I was far too keen once the neck was fitted! The strap studs I pilfered from one of my other guitars.